Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Personal Style

Everyone has their own personal style & taste.  For this first post I want to give you an idea of my personal taste and introduce you to some of the (very few) areas in my home that are completed.  My husband and I moved into our home last February, nearly 1 year ago.  Since then we have been slowy renovating spaces to revitalize the home and add our own personal style in small doses to make this home our own. 

I would best describe my style as a blend of traditional & shabby chic.  I love antiques, neutral color pallettes, white trim, stone, warm woods & most of all - a worn look and a feeling that the space has history.

Below is our entry way.  Although it is tiny...it does the job!  When we moved in there were no closet doors, only a rod with a shower curtain!  That was the first thing I changed.  I think it is important to keep clutter under control.  Inside the closet we installed shoe shelves, rods, and a shelf with wicker baskets to keep all of our mittens, scarves & other outdoor apparel. On the other side is a book shelf with a beautiful satin nickel mirror - to make sure I don't look too goofy when heading out the door.



Another one of my loves is travertine!  The little squares bordering my entry way are travertine and they are poished - which means with the antique crystal light on - they sparkle!  Inside that border is a porcelain tile (made to look like a travertine but much easier to keep clean) on a diagonal for a traditional look.  Don't judge me by the smudged paint on the moldings...the living room is still a work in progress.



This furniture piece is the first that Thor and I ever purchased together!  Above hangs an Ansel Adams photograph given to us by Thor's parents for our wedding.  I love the high contrast and beauty of his photographs. This space combines Thor's love of nature with my love for design and accessories!  Phesant feathers in the vase with our wedding flowers and photos of nature along with my antiques and muted color tones combine both of our tastes and create a look unique to us!


In our office hangs a photo gallery that my husband and I put together not too long ago.  All of the photos have been taken by Thor and are from the jobs he has held throughout the midwest through the past couple of years.  They are amazing!  We varied the orientation of the frames and the colors of them to create a collage feel without getting too crazy and keeping some consistency. Paired with white furniture and a few accessories it creates a space that enables us to have functional storage space but to use it to display those items as well.  I adore pops of color - a great way to do that for example is the wrapping paper in my photo.  Take some of your favorite wrapping paper patterns and store them in a skinny vertical basket.  It provides storage while also adding a splash of color to your space!



Lastly...my favorite details (or little jewels) of my home!
The original antique door knobs.  And we didn't get 1 style left behind in the home..but 2!  Antique door knobs are one of the best ways to add a historical and worn look to a space.  Everyone has to notice them becuase they have to grab onto them to enter the room!  They are such a small item but I get more comments on them than most anything else in my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment